One of the most important ways that you can keep your computer secure is to stay up to date with your operating system. Keeping everything patched and fully up to date helps you ensure that you have minimized any security vulnerabilities.
But that argument only goes so far. Let’s talk about some of the cool things you can do in Windows 10 and Sierra.
Why You Should Update To Windows 10
By all accounts, Windows 8 was a disaster, from both a customer service and a security perspective. Microsoft took the unprecedented step of offering Windows 7 and Windows 8 purchasers a free upgrade to Windows 10 for about a year after the release. So what does Windows 10 do better?
- Touch screen interface and “charms” screen is available, and very helpful for hybrid systems like the Surface, but a classic interface is not the default for those of us who have not yet opted for a touch screen.
- Cortana is Windows answer to the always-listening assistant, like Amazon’s Alexa or Google’s “okay, Google.” Cortana replaces the search function, but now allows for phrase searches, like “what will the weather be tomorrow?” or even “set alarm for 7pm.”
- Close coordination with the Xbox system, making it easy to stream media from your computer to your Xbox and back.
Why You Should Update to Sierra
Although many Apple users generally prefer MacOS to Windows, Sierra still includes a number of updates to the system.
- OS X was generally fairly secure, but over time, some vulnerabilities have evolved. Sierra rolls out the most recent fixes and helps to secure the environment.
- Siri is loved by many iPhone users, and with Sierra, Siri finally debuts on Mac. You can ask Siri to find files you’ve lost, make a note, or open a program.
- Unlock your computer with your iWatch. This is by no means a necessary update, but it’s still pretty cool.
- Optimized storage system helps you maintain all of your files without struggling to find space. This also removes certain files that are duplicated in various places throughout the system.
In general, updating your OS is a good idea. Some people like to wait for the parent company to roll out the first big update to the operating system, but both systems have been shown to be stable at this point. Secure your computer by upgrading now. If you’re not sure how to do this, contact Nerds 2 You, and we’ll be happy to help you with the process.